Get stronger and fitter this summer with part 3 of the personal trainer home workout plan from Lisa Lanceford, aka Lisa Fiitt!
It’s no secret that steadily shedding pounds can lead to great results for long-term weight loss. The same goes for strength and fitness gains – slow and steady wins the workout race. Train too hard, too soon and you might end up hurt, injured or demotivated, something which will negatively impact on your consistency. Fortunately, working out consistently is exactly what you’ll be doing when following this personal trainer home workout schedule from Lisa Lanceford’s (@LisaFiitt).
The Instagram star already provides training plans to subscribers of her Strong and Sxy app and now she’s helping Women’s Fitness readers like you get into shape, too. Over the past two months, we’ve brought you the first installments of Lanceford’s better-body workouts: the Fat Burn, Bums and Tums, Chest and Back, and Arms and Shoulders sessions. ‘This month, I’ll show you how to sculpt your arms and shoulders by targeting your deltoids, biceps and triceps,’ says Lanceford. ‘You can expect to burn calories and have your muscles feeling fired up’. Team these moves with Lanceford’s previous workouts: click here to see part one, or click here to see part two!
Time to work towards your summer body goals…
How to fit this home workout into your weekly training schedule…
- Monday: Fat Burn + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
- Tuesday: Legs workout + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
- Wednesday: Rest day
- Thursday: Chest and Back + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
- Friday: Bums and Tums + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
- Saturday: Arms and Shoulders + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
- Sunday: Rest day
Personal trainer home workout: target your arms and shoulders
Do the moves in order, completing three sets of 15 repetitions for each exercise.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and one foot positioned over the centre of a resistance band.
- Grip each handle, holding both arms down at your sides with palms facing in.
- Raise your arms into the air until you get to shoulder height, all the while keeping a slight bend in your elbows. Slowly lower back down to the start position, then repeat.
NEGATIVE SHOULDER PRESS
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and positioned over the centre of a resistance band.
- Grip each handle and extend your arms to hold the band overhead.
- Lower the resistance band back down, counting for a total of three seconds. Fight against the resistance until your hands are at either side of your ears. Be sure to keep your elbows and wrists in alignment, and don’t arch your upper back.
- Exhale as you push your arms back up, making sure not to lock out your elbows. Repeat.
BICEPS CURLS WITH HOLD
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and positioned over the centre of a resistance band. Grip the handles with your palms facing forwards.
- Curl the band up to the half-way point at which point your forearms arms are parallel to the floor. Hold for a second, keeping your elbows tucked in and squeezing your biceps. Curl up again to the top (pictured, far right) and squeeze your biceps.
- Lower your arms back to the start position in a controlled manner, then repeat.
TRICEPS KICKBACK WITH SQUEEZE
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and feet over a resistance band. Bend forward at the hips to approximately, but no more than, 90°.
- Hold the ends of the band in your hands, with your palms facing each other, and bend your elbows so they are tight against your ribs.
- As you exhale, extend your hands behind you by straightening your arms.
- Pause for a second, squeezing the triceps muscles. Bend your elbows again, then repeat.
Personal trainer home workout: fat burning exercises
Complete all exercises in a circuit format, performing each move for 45 seconds and taking 15 seconds of rest between moves. Do four rounds.
JACK WITH JAB
- Start with your feet together and your hands as fists in front of your chest.
- Jump and spread your legs to shoulder-width apart while simultaneously jabbing both hands out in front of you.
- Jump back to the starting position and bring your hands back in front of your chest. Repeat.
JUMP SQUAT CRAWL OUT
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands clasped in front of you. Lower into a squat position, engage your core, and then jump up explosively.
- When you land, immediately lower your body back into the squat position. Next, fall forward and lower your hands onto the floor, whilst keeping the legs fairly straight.
- Walk your hands out, keeping the core engaged, until your body is in a plank position.
- Walk your hands back in again and go straight back into a squat jump, then repeat the entire sequence.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands clasped in front of your chest.
- Lower into a squat position, engage your core, and then jump up explosively.
- Land with soft knees, then repeat.
- Take a large step back into a lunge position, lowering your hips so that your back knee is just above the floor and your front thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Jump up, switching leg positions mid-air (one leg comes forward; the other leg goes backward).
- Land in a lunge position before jumping again and repeating the sequence. Continue alternating legs for 45 seconds.