Personal trainer and WF cover model @LisaFiitt’s workouts will get you fitter, stronger and feeling great
Personal trainer Lisa Lanceford (@Lisafiitt), founder of the Strong and Sxy app, launched her Instagram page to document her fitness journey. Today, she has more than 2.3 million followers. ‘It feels really rewarding to be able to help others get active,’ says Lanceford. ‘I know how beneficial it has been to me, not only physically, but also mentally.’
The Strong and Sxy app is a one-stop shop for personalised training and meal plans, whether you want to get lean, maintain your current fitness or build a stronger body. ‘It’s essentially a personal trainer in your pocket,’ explains Lanceford. ‘There are bodyweight workouts, dumbbell workouts and resistance band workouts – something for everyone.’
Exclusive to Women’s Fitness readers, Lanceford has devised a plan that will get you in great shape for the summer and, over the next three issues, we’ll be providing you with her workouts. ‘This month, the Fat Burn workout is great if you’re running short of time, while the Bums and Tums session will target your glutes and abs,’ says Lanceford. ‘These workouts will help you feel amazing from the inside-out.’
The perfect plan
Here’s how you might fit these workouts into a weekly training schedule…
Fat Burn + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
Legs workout + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
Chest and Back workout + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
Bums and Tums + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
Arms and Shoulders workout + 30-min brisk walk or cycle
Complete the following moves in order, performing each exercise for 15 seconds followed by a 45-second rest. Do two rounds.
ALTERNATE HIGH KNEE STEP
● Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart.
● Raise your left knee up to hip level while simultaneously raising your right arm up high overhead.
● Lower your left leg and right arm back down and repeat on the other side.
● Continue alternating at pace until the time is up.
● Stand tall with your legs together and your arms by your sides.
● Starting with a slight bend in your knees, jump your legs out to shoulder-width apart and stretch your arms up overhead, so you’re in a star-jump shape.
● Return on soft legs to the starting position, then repeat.
● Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and toes pointing slightly outward.
● Hold your hands either straight out in front of you or clasped together in front of your chest.
● Take a breath in and push your bottom back (imagine you’re sitting in an imaginary chair) while keeping your spine neutral.
● Lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Exhale and push through your heels to drive your body back to the starting position.
JOGGING ON THE SPOT
● Start in a standing position and move your knees and arms in a jogging motion.
● Drive with your arms and slowly land on the balls of your feet.
● Keep jogging on the spot until the time is up.
BUMS AND TUMS
Do the exercises in order, completing two sets of 10 repetitions of each move followed by a 60-second rest.
● Stand tall with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands either on your hips or clasped in front of your chest.
● Take a large step back with your right foot, landing on the ball of the foot and keeping your heel off the ground. Bend both knees to 90° as you lower into a lunge.
● Press into the mid-foot and heel of your left foot to return to the standing position. Repeat for the set number of reps, then switch sides. That’s one set.
● Lie on your back with your knees bent, both feet flat on the ground and your arms by your sides with palms facing down.
● Lift your hips off the ground until your shoulders, hips and knees are in a straight line.
● Squeeze your glutes at the top of the repetition, then reverse the move to lower your body back down to the ground. Repeat.
● Don’t overextend at the top of this move – this will take away from the contraction in your glutes.
ALTERNATING HEEL TOUCHES
● Lie on your back, lifting your shoulder blades off the floor slightly and holding your hands flat on the floor, to your sides.
● Contract your abs, then crunch slightly upwards and to your right side until your right hand touches your right heel.
● Repeat on your left side, then continue alternating for the set number of reps.
● Make sure your feet are a good distance away from your bottom as this will ensure a good contraction in your obliques.
● Lie on your back, lift your shoulders off the floor and rest your fingertips on the sides of your temples.
● Keep your lower back pressed into the ground to avoid straining it.
● Bring the opposite knee to the opposite elbow by crunching to one side while fully extending the other leg. Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side