Shape and tone your legs with these great moves you can do almost anywhere. Aim to perform two to three sets of 10 to 15 repetitions. The last few reps should be challenging.
Reps and sets
Beginners: 2 sets of 15 repetitions using a light weight
Intermediate: 2 sets of 20 repetitions using a light weight
Advanced: 3 sets of 20 repetitions using a moderate weight
Outer thigh side leg lift
Works the outer thighs
- Lie on your side in a straight line with your legs on top of each other.
- Lift your top leg up towards the ceiling.
- Lower your leg with control.
- Pull your belly button into your spine and squeeze your bottom throughout the movement.
- Repeat on the other side.
Inner thigh squeeze
Works the inner thighs
- Place your hands and your knees on a stability ball.
- Keep your feet on the floor for balance.
- Most of your bodyweight should be resting on the ball.
- Squeeze your knees together into the ball.
- Hold the squeeze position for one second.
- Relax but keep your knees in contact with the ball.
Works the hips, thighs, calves, bottom and tummy
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, toes pointing out at 45 degrees. Put both hands on your hips.
- Bend your knees to 45 degrees and lift your heels off the floor, while squeezing your bottom tight.
- Slowly lower your heels back and straighten your legs.
Hold onto a chair for balance, if necessary.
Dumbbell leg curl
Works the rear thighs
- Lie down on your stomach, fold your arms and rest your forehead on your arms.
- Hold a weight between your feet so that the top end of the weight rests on the soles of your shoes.
- Squeeze your feet together and curl your legs
up towards your bottom.
- Slowly lower with control but don’t rest on the floor.
Calf raise with dumbbells
Works calves and ankles
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Raise yourself onto your tiptoes, keeping your weight evenly distributed between your big toe and little toe on each foot.
- Keep your shoulders relaxed and knees slightly bent throughout this exercise.
- Lower your heels back to the ground slowly.
Lunge with punching
Works the legs, arms and shoulders
- Stand with your feet together while holding a light weight in each hand.
- Keep your elbows bent at 90 degrees with your palms facing each other.
- Lunge forwards with your right foot and simultaneously punch your left arm forwards, followed by your right arm.
- Step backwards and repeat with your left foot.