Get your abs fired up with this weighted core workout from AMP Wellbeing, using its compact and easy-to-use Dumbbell Strength Bars.
Watch the video below, or keep reading for handy step-by-step instructions!
AMP Wellbeing Dumbbell Strength Bars
Available in 2kg bars (4kg pair) and 2.5kg bars (5kg pairs), the AMP Wellbeing Dumbbell Strength Bars (£35) are small and compact, making them easy to use and store at home. Plus, they are super comfortable to hold thanks to the soft silicone coating, ensuring they fit neatly into your hand while adding extra resistance to your workout. Available in pink, green or white to match all workout wardrobes!
How to do this weighted core workout:
This weighted core workout features 4 exercises, completed with the addition of AMP Wellbeing Dumbbell Strength Bars. Work through each exercise, completing 9 reps of each before moving on to the next one. Alternatively, you can start at 8 reps per round, adding a rep per round to build progressive overload and overall strength and development.
You can take a short 10 second rest between reps as needed – it is more important to ensure you maintain form as you repeat the exercises than to continue when tired and cause injury. Rest for 20 – 30 seconds between rounds.
Set the clock for 9 minutes and see how many rounds you can do!
Weighted core workout
- Half sit up with overhead raise
- Weighted crunches
- Tuck sit into deadbug
- Weighted scissor legs
Keep reading for full exercise instructions.
Half sit up with overhead raise
- Sit with your knees bent and your feet on the floor, hold the weight in both hands out in front of you and use your abdominal muscles to lean back into a half sit up position.
- Raise back up into a seated position and then hold at the top, as you use your abdominals to raise back up extend your arms above your head.
- Slowly return back half way to the starting position, repeat 9 times.
- Lie on the floor with your knees bend and feet on the floor, hold the strength bars in both hands with your arms stretched up to the ceiling.
- Use your abdominal muscles to raise up into a crunch.
- Return to the ground, lowering down in a slow and controlled movement. Repeat 9 times.
Tuck sit into deadbug
- Lie on the ground with your arms and legs outstretched holding the dumbbell in both hands.
- Slowly raise the arms, keeping your elbows directly over the shoulders above you, keeping your arms straight as you bring your knees into a 90 degree angle at the same time.
- Keep your spine neutral with your lower back pressed into the floor (to avoid any arch in your back) and your core engaged the whole time.
- Once at the top, roll up into tuck sit up without putting your feet on the floor holding your balance.
- Use your abdominal muscles to slowly lower yourself back to a lying position and slowly lower the legs out straight in front of you while lowering your arms back outstretched behind your head. Repeat the movement 9 times.
Weighted scissor legs
- Lie on the ground with your legs stretched straight up into the air and your arms directly overhead holding the dumbbell, keeping your elbows in line with your shoulders and your core engaged.
- Ensure your lower back is pressed into the floor to maintain a neutral spine with no arch in the back.
- Slowly lower each leg to the ground one at a time, keeping your spine neutral to prevent an arch in your back and keeping your legs straight. Repeat each side 9 times.