This total body workout from personal trainer Anne-Marie Lategan will help you tone up, raise your heart rate and burn calories. Perform two to three sets of each exercise, aiming for 12-15 repetitions of each one. Photos: Eddie Macdonald.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with your arms out in front of you.
- Step forward with your right leg.
- Bend both knees.
- Keep your upper body upright and twist towards the right side.
- Return to the centre and step back.
- Repeat towards the left.
- Alternate between left and right.
Tip: Be careful not to extend your knee over your toes during the lunge.
- Stand behind a box or step.
- Bend your knees and swing your arms backwards.
- Jump onto the step.
- Jump backwards off the step.
- Repeat 50 repetitions as fast as possible.
Tip: The higher your box or step, the harder you’ll work. If you can’t jump, step on and off the step.
Straight leg crossovers
- Lie on your back on the floor.
- Extend your legs up to the ceiling.
- Place your hands next to your ears.
- Crunch your head and shoulders off the floor.
- Extend your left hand up to touch your right foot (or leg).
- Return to the centre position and repeat on the other side.
- Complete 20 reps on each side.
Tip: Remember it’s 20 reps on each side but keep an eye on your technique if you start to fatigue. Stop and rest if you have to.
- Stand on your right leg.
- Extend your left arm up to the ceiling.
- Bend your right knee and lower your left hand.
- Touch the outside of your right ankle with your left hand.
- Return to the starting position.
- Complete 15 reps on each side.
- Place your hands directly underneath your chest on the floor.
- Keep your body in a straight line like a press-up position.
- Lift your right foot off the floor.
- Pull your right knee into your chest as close as possible to your right elbow.
- Return your right leg and repeat with the left leg.
- Alternate between right and left.
- Complete ten repetitions on each side.
Tip: Remember to breathe out when you pull your knee into your chest.
- Bend over and place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Jump both feet back into a plank position.
- Lower your chest to the floor to perform a push-up. If it’s too hard, lower your knees to the floor to perform a modified push-up.
- Push back up to return to the plank position.
- Jump your feet back in towards the hands.
- Explosively jump into the air, reaching your arms straight overhead.
Tip: Too hard? Leave out the press up. Walk your legs in and out instead of jumping.