Burn fat and enjoy a great cardio workout at home with these effective moves by personal trainer Anne-Marie Lategan.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your arms at a right angle at your sides.
- Keep your knees slightly bent.
- Twist your upper body towards the right.
- Jump up.
- Twist your legs over to the right and your upper body over to the left.
- Land allowing your knees to bend to absorb the shock.
- Alternate as fast as possible for your one-minute time limit.
Tip: Keep your back upright and focus on one point in front of you rather than twisting your head with the movement.
Backward lunges with overhead raise
- Stand with your legs hip-width apart.
- Hold a weight with both hands in front of your body.
- Step backwards with your left leg and bend both knees to perform a lunge.
- While lunging, lift the weight with both arms over your head.
- Step forwards to the start position.
- Repeat with your right leg.
- Alternate between left and right.
Tip: Keep your upper body upright when you land – don’t lean forward.
Stability Ball Pikes
- Place your feet and shins on a Stability Ball.
- Place your hands on the floor.
- Keep a straight line between your shoulders, hips and feet.
- Roll the Ball closer to your hands while pushing your bottom up to the ceiling.
- Roll the Ball back to the starting position.
Tip: If the exercise is too hard, keep the knees bent while rolling the ball in. Don’t ever move your hand position.
Lunge to single leg stances
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Lunge forward with your left leg and bend both knees.
- As you lift up, push off with your left leg into a single leg balancing stance on your right leg.
- Perform 12 repetitions each side.
Tip: Keep your upper back upright.
Kneeling stability ball roll outs
- Kneel on the floor behind a Stability Ball.
- Place your elbows and forearms on the Ball.
- Lean forward with your hips to form a straight line between your knees, hips and shoulders.
- Push your arms forward and roll the Ball out.
- Pull your arms back in until your elbows are underneath your shoulders.
- Keep your hips in the same position throughout the movement.
Tip: This exercise can also be performed with your knees off the floor.
Resistance band crunches
- Tie a resistance band around a secure object.
- Lie on your back on the floor.
- Hold the edges of the resistance band in your hands and keep your hands next to your ears.
- Ensure that there is slight tension in the band.
- Crunch your head and shoulders up off the floor, pulling on the resistance band.
- Slowly lower with control.
Tip: Support your neck with your hands if you feel any discomfort. Breathe out as you crunch up.
Resistance band crab walks
- Stand with both feet on a resistance band.
- Grab hold of the edges of the resistance band and cross it over in front of your legs.
- Step four steps sideways towards the right.
- Repeat four steps sideways towards the left.
- Alternate between right and left.
Tip: Look straight ahead and keep your spine upright.
Double leg stretches
- Lie on your back on the floor and keep your legs at a right angle and your shins parallel to the floor.
- Crunch your head and shoulders off the floor.
- Tuck your knees into your abs and push your lower back into the floor.
- Grab hold of your shins with your arms.
- Breathe out.
- Simultaneously stretch your arms above your head and stretch your legs out to 45 degrees.
- Keep your head off the floor and your lower back pushed into the floor.
- Breathe out.
Take your arms sideways into a semi-circle and tuck your knees in again, grabbing hold of your shins.
- Repeat the move.
Tip: The closer your arms and legs are to the floor, the harder it is to stop your back from arching.