Shape, tone strengthen your arms with this workout that can be done anywhere.
Exercising your arms will not only make them look shapely and toned in T-shirts and sleeveless tops, but it will also make daily tasks like lifting heavy shopping much easier.Muscles work in pairs – when one muscle contracts, the opposite muscle relaxes, so it’s important to work opposite muscle groups in equal balance. This means that when you work your biceps, you need to ensure that you work your triceps too.
Reps and sets
Beginners: 2 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions using a light weight
Intermediate: 2 to 3 sets of 20 repetitions using a light weight
Advanced: 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions using a moderate weight
- Hold a weight in each hand with your palms facing forward.
- Bend your arms, lifting the weight towards your armpits.
- Keep your elbows tucked into your sides.
Press-ups with one arm forward
- Kneel on the floor, keeping your left hand just behind the line of your shoulder and your right hand in front.
- Ensure that your body is parallel with the floor.
- Bend your elbows, lowering your chest to the floor.
- Lower down to where you feel comfortable.
- Push back up.
- Repeat on the other side with your left hand in front.
Kneeling overhead triceps extension
- Kneel on the floor with your back upright.
- Hold a weight in one hand and extend it up to the ceiling.
- Lower the weight to your shoulder blade.
- Extend your arm up to the ceiling but don’t lock your elbow.
- Repeat on the other side.
Tip: Support your elbow with your opposite hand, if needed.
- Sit on the edge of a chair and place your hands next to your hips.
- Straighten your legs out in front of you.
- Lower your bottom off the chair until you reach a 90-degree angle at your elbows.
- Push yourself up and straighten your arms.
• Don’t lock your elbows.
Tip: If you find this exercise hard, keep your knees bent.
For best workout results
- Perform the exercises slowly. Don’t speed up as this will cause you to use momentum rather than strength.
- When doing biceps curls, keep your upper body still. Don’t swing your back – if you can’t lift the weight without doing this then lower the weight.
- Never sacrifice quality for quantity.