Tone and strengthen your abs and core with our pick of four of the best ab exercises.
Try to hold the position for 30 to 60 seconds. Build up the duration if you need to.
- Lie on your stomach on the floor.
Place your elbows directly underneath your shoulders.
- Lift your hips off the floor.
- Keep a straight line between your head, shoulders, hips and feet.
- Focus on your breathing.
If you feel pain in your lower back, your hips are sagging. Lift your bottom up. Remember to keep breathing. If the exercise is too hard, keep your knees on the floor.
- Lie on your left side and place your left elbow underneath your left shoulder.
- Place your right foot on top of your left.
- Lift your hips off the floor to form a straight line between your head, shoulders, hips and feet.
- Breathe normally.
- Complete one set before changing over to the other side.
If you find this exercise too hard, keep your knees bent until you get stronger.
Straight Arm & Leg Crunches
- Lie on your back, extend your right arm above your head and extend your right leg.
- Place your left hand behind your head and keep your left leg at a right angle.
- Crunch your right arm and leg up until your hand touches your leg.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Perform one set on one side and change over.
Ensure you do a pelvic tilt and breathe out as you lift.
- Lie on your back with your legs at a right angle.
- Keep your hands next to your ears.
- Crunch your left elbow over to your right knee while extending your left leg.
- Return to the centre position.
- Crunch your right elbow over to your left knee while extending your right leg.
- Alternate between right and left.
Keep the tempo controlled to prevent too much momentum.